Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double-chanter Mediaeval bagpipes

2 posters

Go down

Double-chanter Mediaeval bagpipes Empty Double-chanter Mediaeval bagpipes

Post  Yuri Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:55 pm

At long last. By popular demand indifference. My very own double chanter medieval pipes, that I have since stopped making (quite like this, I mean.) (I make them with crumhorn reeds now, it's much more impressive.) Recorded more than a year ago, just shows what an incredibly motivated maker I am.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
There are some more under my incredibly witty stupid username. Also some music played on the double flue pipes, some of it the same music as on the bagpipe. There will be more. Judging by my track record, don't hold your breadth.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Double-chanter Mediaeval bagpipes Empty Re: Double-chanter Mediaeval bagpipes

Post  Stu Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Nice! Now if only I could play the ones I made like that!
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:39 am

Yuri, what is the advantage of the unequal length chanter double pipes?
I've made a couple of equal length pipes and found almost as many problems as opportunities with them re: conflicting notes / dissonance. Do the unequal chanters reduce this issue?

Stu
Stu
Stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Erm, I'm not exactly sure what the question relates to. I mean, the chanters are unequal because of the two sequences of notes in the two chanters are unequal. The longer one plays, say, C-G (doesn't have to be this particular pitch, but you get the same relationship with any pitch), and the left one will then play F-d. The reason for settling on this relationship is the fact that Medieval and Renaissance polyphonic music is most easily adapted for this disposition. (and a thumbhole can be added to the rh chanter, taking it up to A).
Now, I could make the chanters equal lenght, by puting tuning holes further down in the left chanter. This would make it sound a bit weaker, though, and frankly there is no advantage of any kind to it, other than the looks, if you prefer it to unequal.
But if it's about why the disposition is unequal, rather than why the chanters qre unequal, well, it really is the fact of usability, as I said above. It is true that two equal chanters would make some sense, for example playing canons , but the maximum range would be far too small. I do make by now double flue pipes that can play an entire octave on each pipe, strictly cross-fingered on 5 fingerholes, (chromatic, too), but I just couldn't manage to do the same on reed chanters. I tried. Might try again soon, I do have some ideas.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down