Where to get basic simple HG plans?

Go down

Where to get basic simple HG plans?

Post  Bob Salter on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 am

Could anyone point me to a plans for a very basic beginners HG , but one that will produce some sounds worth hearing at the end of it please. There seems to be a lot of plans that dont produce a good end result. I have the metal lathe so the metalwork shouldnt be too much hassle. I just, for now, want to produce something basic so I can see how they work.

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Where to get basic simple HG plans?

Post  texasbagpiper on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Bob Salter wrote:Could anyone point me to a plans for a very basic beginners HG , but one that will produce some sounds worth hearing at the end of it please. There seems to be a lot of plans that dont produce a good end result. I have the metal lathe so the metalwork shouldnt be too much hassle. I just, for now, want to produce something basic so I can see how they work.

Bob

Their is a childrens book written on how to make instruments with plans covering a diatonic Hurdy Gurdy. I have made one of them and it was a delightful little instruments. The book is called, (Making Musical Instruments) by Bryan Tolley. Wayland Publishers England.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
texasbagpiper

View user profile http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks Seth
I have ordered a copy and am looking forward to having a go. I just want to see how one works really before I consider a more complex one.

Bob

Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelLoos on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:07 pm

This book
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
has plans for many easy-to-make folk instruments of all kinds, among them a 21 key HG based on a model by Herman Dewit from Belgium.
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Wow, Amazon uk is quoting £191 for a new copy and £40 for a second hand one, ouch, a little beyond my reach I think

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelLoos on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:48 pm

When I follow this link I find a secondhand copy for 10.30 $...
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Bob Salter wrote:Wow, Amazon uk is quoting £191 for a new copy and £40 for a second hand one, ouch, a little beyond my reach I think

Bob

I have this book and the Hurdy Gurdy is a very complex one to build. Also, the plans have a lot of stuff that is wrong, although it is an interesting source and has some great detailed information and drawings. Alden Hackman of HurdyGurdy.com wrote a very long detailed rebuttal to these plans and all that's wrong with them. If you plan on using the book for plans then you need to read and follow Alden's rebuttal, here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 pm

I have a copy of it. The H-G plan is for a rather sophisticated model, I found. (No, I haven't made one, but I can see the plan.) It includes curved soundboard, as well as curved bottom plate, tapering body and what I really found frustrating is that a couple of crucial measurements are not actually given, so you have to work it out for yourself from comparing the given ones. I don't remember now which ones are these, but do remember the frustration.
I have to say that if you do manage to work through it, you probably end up with a first-class instrument, rather than a beginner's cludge.
Just as I was posting it, Seth posted his one. I leave mine unchanged, so you can have two independent opinions .
Yuri

View user profile http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Yuri wrote:I have a copy of it. The H-G plan is for a rather sophisticated model, I found. (No, I haven't made one, but I can see the plan.) It includes curved soundboard, as well as curved bottom plate, tapering body and what I really found frustrating is that a couple of crucial measurements are not actually given, so you have to work it out for yourself from comparing the given ones. I don't remember now which ones are these, but do remember the frustration.
I have to say that if you do manage to work through it, you probably end up with a first-class instrument, rather than a beginner's cludge.
Just as I was posting it, Seth posted his one. I leave mine unchanged, so you can have two independent opinions .

I wonder if Aldens rebuttal covered the issues your talking about. On another note, have you tried to make the bagpipe, I believe its Belgium without looking at it, in the book. Seth
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelLoos on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:31 pm

The bagpipe is not a belgian one, it is a very basic instrument which can be made without a lathe, the tools needed are basically a couple of drills and a pocket knife. It is made from elder, the "bore" is made by pushing out the marrow with a thick wire. It uses single reeds in both chanter and drone. I never made it but I'm quite sure it is fun to make, the whole instrument can be finished within a few hours. It is probably more like a säckpipa than anything else.
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:49 pm

That was my impression, too. I haven't made it, eiter, but from the description it is the most basic, not to say archetypal single-reed, separate drone bagpipe that you can imagine. As Michael says, no tools needed apart from a pocketknife. (You can use one for a drill, too, so that eliminates even the drill. Or you can burn the holes, something not done by the sophisticates that we are,( pushes his nose high into the air) but most certainly done by a whole lot of very good folk makers.) From the photo, the maker took very much care about the appearance. If you stick a horn on the end, you'll get a pibhorn -in-a-bag. (I'm not sure about the spelling.)
Yuri

View user profile http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down