Post  texasbagpiper on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
texasbagpiper

View user profile http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Northumbrian Smallpipes

Post  Bob Salter on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 am

Thats a great site. Ive made a seven key set from there and its great.

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 am

Bob Salter wrote:Thats a great site. Ive made a seven key set from there and its great.

Bob

Have you ever made the keyless NSP in the 1967 Cocks and Bryan book. The one by John Dunn.
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:11 am

The one with three simple drones and is about nine or ten inches long? Yes, its a nice little instrument. I would like to try the shuttle pipes in the same book but can figure out how to cut the dovetail slots accurately. Any ideas? Some of the nsp makers Ive spoken to say its makes a great instrument. I suppose a router might do it if I made a box to hold the shuttle in place.

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:42 am

Bob Salter wrote:The one with three simple drones and is about nine or ten inches long? Yes, its a nice little instrument. I would like to try the shuttle pipes in the same book but can figure out how to cut the dovetail slots accurately. Any ideas? Some of the nsp makers Ive spoken to say its makes a great instrument. I suppose a router might do it if I made a box to hold the shuttle in place.

Bob

I have the older book. It doesn't have the shuttle pipes in it. I do have copies of the shuttle pipe plans somewhere from the newer book. I have no idea of how to do the dovetails, but if you figure it out I would love to know you did it. Seth
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:52 pm

I don't know how they are made these days, but have a suspicion that in old times they were made the same way as sliding dovetails in furniture making. That involved a pair of dovetail planes, essentially a narrow block of wood with the blade sticking out at the bottom at an angle. Two of them, for left and right side. First planing a groove with an ordinary tongue-and-groove plane, the groove one, then going with the dovetail cutters from there. The blade cut sideways, not into the bottom.
Yuri

View user profile http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:08 am

Ive been trying to get hold of a stanley 55 plane for ages but they are way out of my league pricewise. My buds at work have suggested making a box a little bigger than the stock with a centre rod which would go through the centre of the shuttle. this could be locked off so it didnt move. In the lid of the box is a straight slot which would fit the base plate of the router. All that would then be needed is to set the depth and lock it and slide the router presto accurate dove tail. Then the shuttle could be turned and the nest slot done. I have access to the best routers out there at work. What do you think?

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:31 pm

Bob Salter wrote:Ive been trying to get hold of a stanley 55 plane for ages but they are way out of my league pricewise. My buds at work have suggested making a box a little bigger than the stock with a centre rod which would go through the centre of the shuttle. this could be locked off so it didnt move. In the lid of the box is a straight slot which would fit the base plate of the router. All that would then be needed is to set the depth and lock it and slide the router presto accurate dove tail. Then the shuttle could be turned and the nest slot done. I have access to the best routers out there at work. What do you think?

Bob

I have never really looked at shuttle pipe design. I don't even understand whats going on with the dovetail slide, etc. You guys have me interested in it now. I may start digging out my old plans, If I can find them. Seth
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 am

Now I have the milling slide(see pictures topic) Ill be able to cut the slots as yuri suggested but with a milling cutter for the slot and an angled cutter for the sides. May be a while till I try it mind you, I am totally absorbed with uilleann pipes for now.

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down