Why is it...?

Go down

Why is it...?

Post  Bob Salter on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:42 pm

WHy is it that when making a batch of say 5 reeds

a) Two look perfect, as if a pro reedmaker had made them but never produce a single sound.

b) The next two, which look not quite as good (as if they had been rattling around in an old spares box) have a 50/50 chance of working but even if they do they are never great.

c) The one that looks like a dogs dinner and was made from leftovers has a 99 per cent chance of working well and is sometimes exceptional.

I've spent a frustrating week working on reeds and am gradually starting to see some sort of sense to it. Today I made a concert uilleann reed from california cane which looks awful but is easily the best sounding reed I have ever made. I put it a chanter I have struggled with for ages and it comfortably played all the way up. I also begin to see that reedmaking isnt something you learn and then stop doing except when you need it, it requires regular practice. I think now I need to hear other chanters live to get a feel for the volumes and tonal qualities I should be striving for.

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why is it...?

Post  Yuri on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:56 am

Well, Bob, on a much broader scale, phisychists have been speculating on the origin of the Universe and everything ever since they invented Science. (so have the Monty Python crew, but more of this later...) Riight. It seemed all so obvious. Gravity, mechanics, and so on. Then along came quantum mechanics. Old-timers just couldn't make head or tails of it. Turns out, it's all very complicated, and what's more, it doesn't have to make sense, that's the beauty of it. (Of course, the Monty Python bunch worked it out much better, but, unfortunately, they went out of fashion lately...)
So it is with reeds. They do not have to make sense. They just have to work.
Yuri

View user profile http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Ah yes, We are the reedmakers who like to say.......Nee Very Happy

Bob

ps Hes not a reedmaker, he's a very naughty boy
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down