Bagpipe Making Books

Go down

Bagpipe Making Books

Post  Smjprogrammer on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Does anyone know of any books that may exist having to do with Highland Bagpipe Turning and what have you?
Smjprogrammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bagpipe Making Books

Post  MichaelLoos on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:06 pm

The only book that I know of is "Creating a Scottish Highland Bagpipe" by Peter Robertson. It is out of print and seems to be unavailable, Amazon has a used copy for the amazing price of 90 $. Also, from what I've heard, it seems to be not very good... so hardly worth this price.
There are some videos on youtube showing certain processes in the making, but none explaining how to actually make a set from scratch.
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelLoos on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Just in case you don't know them already - here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
is a set of plans from 1908 for a set of GHB, with a few notes on how to make them.
Might be helpful.
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Yeah I have read that quite a few times can't see anyone doing anything like that with all the modern advantages we have today.

Does anyone happen to know what kind of wax is used on the end of African Blackwood billets to keep them from cracking while seasoning would you?
Smjprogrammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Its paraffin wax. If you can SAFELY melt candle wax I have been known to use that but you can get paraffin wax from any good woodturning store along with a safety heater.
I dont know if you have ever read Mike Nelsons excellent pages on making northumbrian pipes. I know you want to make GHB but most of the techniques he uses would translate upwards. The page is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. DO you want to make a lot of pipes or just a set for yourself?

Bob
Bob Salter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 pm

As of right now I am just gathering information, and then I will go from there. If I ever make a set that works well I would think about making more of them. I have tons of paraffin wax I get it in a Gulf Wax you can get the stuff from anyone. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Smjprogrammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:14 pm

You can safely melt wax in a water bath. That is, a bigger pot with some water boiling in it, and a smaller pot with the wax sitting in it. never any problems.
Yuri

View user profile http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down