Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Threading/Combing tools?

4 posters

Go down

Threading/Combing tools? Empty Threading/Combing tools?

Post  texasbagpiper Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 am

I don't really make Highland pipes per say, although I have made a few sets as well as the set I play. The question I get quite alot from people is, " Where do I get proper tools to do combing". I usually tell them to find a thread chaser with a high thread rate per inch that matches what they have in mind for their project. I've recently been thinking about threading my mounts onto my Uilleann chanters and I'm curious myself as to where to get tools for theading other than the Crown or Sorby ones that have huge theads for box lids and such. I watched a video on Youtube of a Highland bagpipe maker doing theading as well as combing, and when he did his threading for the mount it was done quite fast and I could barely see the theads. Here is the video, and does anyone have anything to share on this topic.

texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Threading/Combing tools? Empty Re: Threading/Combing tools?

Post  Smjprogrammer Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:11 am

I recently found out that older pipes use 28Tpi and new pipes use 24Tpi, but Tweedie ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) I know used 26Tpi. I have not done this yet myself but would like to just read the link below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Smjprogrammer on Tue May 08, 2012 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add and correct info.)
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm

It also might be worth mentioning the Tap & Dies in Scotland without a doubt are all Whitworth tools.
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Smjprogrammer wrote:I recently found out that older pipes use 27Tpi and new one use 25Tpi, and I have not done this yet myself but would like to just read the link below.

This is a great link you have found. I may give it a try when I have some free-time. Also, Whitworth makes threading tools suitable to use in hand turning. Seth
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Seth, I suspect there is more to it than the tools. You might also need some considerable practice. I remember reading about this method, and th fact that apprentices were not allowed onto threading until they put in a year or two practice with threading dummies. That's why tey invented automatic thread-cutters, after all.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Yuri wrote:Seth, I suspect there is more to it than the tools. You might also need some considerable practice. I remember reading about this method, and th fact that apprentices were not allowed onto threading until they put in a year or two practice with threading dummies. That's why tey invented automatic thread-cutters, after all.

I hear ya, but its always fun to try. I have all the threading tools that I need now but I think I may have a go at making on of these. I have plenty of scrap to practice on. Seth
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Yuri wrote:Seth, I suspect there is more to it than the tools. You might also need some considerable practice. I remember reading about this method, and th fact that apprentices were not allowed onto threading until they put in a year or two practice with threading dummies. That's why tey invented automatic thread-cutters, after all.

What are threading dummies and what is the order in which apprentices are allowed to do this and that in the shop?
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:07 am

I mean they were not allowed to take on real orders, but had to practice on cilynders of cheap wood, threading it. Or rather trying to thread it. Apparently it is quite common to fall into a "double thread", where you move the tool at exactly half the speed, so only every second tooth catches the thread.(and every second tooth produces a second thread.) You end up with a kind of "double thread". Also common is the "stripping off the thread' which is where your tool doesn't catch any kind of rhytm.
Having said all this, that's the only way to learn it, by practicing. So good luck, Seth.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 am

Smjprogrammer wrote:It also might be worth mentioning the Tap & Dies in Scotland without a doubt are all Whitworth tools.

No we have metric and all sorts now Shocked
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Hay Seth did you ever try out this method for making combing tools/thread chasers?
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Smjprogrammer wrote:Hay Seth did you ever try out this method for making combing tools/thread chasers?

I haven't tried it yet. I don't have the right type of files and such to do the job. I wen't ahead and bought 20tpi set to practice with, and I'm getting a 24tpi set from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:11 am

I went to the same place for the 24tpi set, but cannot find where to buy it.

None of the U.S. distributors carry them above 20tpi. I had to order mine from one of the U.K. distributors. I think they were called "ToolPost", and they are listed on Hamlets website under distributors. Seth
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:06 am

Is it necessary to have a Thread Recessing and Armrest Tool for threading?
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Mon May 02, 2011 6:49 pm

I decided to go with the 20TPI for threading mounts and it is exactly what I wanted. I've never threaded a mount before, but it was much, much easier than I expected. It can be learned in about 10 minutes. It just may be my many years of turning though, and may take others longer. Trick is to turn the rpms down low and let the tool follow the threads on its own, don't force it, it will make the threads on its own. Seth

Last edited by texasbagpiper on Thu May 05, 2011 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Thu May 05, 2011 7:58 am

How low in rpm's did you go?
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Thu May 05, 2011 8:35 am

Smjprogrammer wrote:How low in rpm's did you go?

Lowest setting on Jet mini lathe, not sure of the rpm's off hand. Seth
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 am

I bought a 26 tpi for flat combing and its just the right size for the job. Its too fine for threading IMHO, so I will continue to use the 20 tpi to thread. I take back how easy I said it is to thread. Its easy to put a thread into the wood, internal and external, but you better pay attention to the o.d. and i.d. of the pieces your working with or they will not fit right or at all. Seth
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 am

texasbagpiper wrote:I bought a 26 tpi for flat combing and its just the right size for the job. Its too fine for threading IMHO, so I will continue to use the 20 tpi to thread. I take back how easy I said it is to thread. Its easy to put a thread into the wood, internal and external, but you better pay attention to the o.d. and i.d. of the pieces your working with or they will not fit right or at all. Seth

Where did you get the flat combing tool? I have Googled it for mouths with no luck. In the past few weeks, I have managed to make my own 27tpi combing tool. I use K-D 2249 Thread Repair File with sizes 9, 10, 12, 16, 20, 27, 28, 32 tpi, and a Needle File Set. It looks cool works like a flea driven wagon on the highway. Just cannot get it sharp enough.
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Now here is some stuff to look out for in your local hardware store!

Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:40 am

Smjprogrammer wrote:Now here is some stuff to look out for in your local hardware store!

Yep those are nice. I was talking to an amateur pipemker last week that is using a set of those. scratch
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Smjprogrammer Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:26 am

Did he say if they were any good for the job? Of course using something different from what someone else is using does not make it inferior. It just shows another method of possibilities.

Last edited by Smjprogrammer on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Another Link)
Smjprogrammer
Smjprogrammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum