Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medi-evil pipes, MK2

2 posters

Go down

Medi-evil pipes, MK2 Empty Medi-evil pipes, MK2

Post  Yuri Sat May 07, 2011 8:42 pm

I've been mucking around with a couple of Spanish Gaita chanters, using them as a basis to work out a completely chromatic chanter for medi-evil music. Well, I have done that, even though I have to admit that my beloved historical recorder fingering didn't work out, I had to change one of the cross-fingered positions. However, in the end it works, and that is the main thing. The pipe is probably as loud as a GHB set, though I squeezed the reed to as mild a setting as I dared. (gaita reeds come with brass hoops, you can adjust the opening).
The headstock. What with me having started life as a carver, not as instrument maker...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The overall view. I know it's not as great as it could be, but I don't know how to take a reasonable photo with this camera, the set is large, after all.

The huge headstock is because in due course there will be a couple more sets, all using the same bag/fittings, and one of them is a double-chantered set. That needs a bit of room.
The gaita-based chanter, by the way is in B, of all things. That's simply because I had a B chanter to start from, so that's what I did. In due course there will be an A and possibly D chanters added to the canon, though I have my doubts about a D one, what with it being so high pitched.

And the main view from the point of view of the player. Just to remind you what the audience thinks of your playing...
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Medi-evil pipes, MK2 Empty Re: Medi-evil pipes, MK2

Post  Bob Salter Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 am

That is stunning. I wish I could do stuff like that. Sad

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 pm

On the other hand, I have no idea how to even start on an Uillean set...
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down