yunes on top hand only

Go down

yunes on top hand only

Post  Andy K on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:12 am

Hi pipers,
I have just broken my right wrist and I still wish to practice. Does anybody have any tunes that can be played on the top hand only?

Andy K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: yunes on top hand only

Post  MichaelLoos on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:47 am

What type of bagpipe do you play?
Italian tunes for zampogna can be played on the top hand, and are quite catchy and easy in to learn. Assuming a scale in A, you now have a range from C# (using your pinky) to high A. D is now your tonic, the scale you play is C# - D - E - F# - Gnat - high A.
Also, most tunes for Bulgarian kaba gaida only make use of the top hand tones plus one tone below, for these, you will have to tape the C# hole to get C nat instead. Your chanter should respond to crossfingering so you can play F nat as well as F#. These tunes also require Gnat rather than G#. However, many of these sound strange to western ears, and you might not find them easy to learn.
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tunes on the top hand

Post  Andy K on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:23 am

I play the Great highland Bagpipe, also small pipes and I recently aquired a rather awsome sounding replica of 12th century irish war pipes. But.... the fingering is the same for all these pipes (at least the ones I have.) The war pipes are made mostly from GHB parts... a great plus for ease of replacing parts and also for repertoire.

I learned to like the fast folk music of eastern europe whilst working with migrants from many of the slavic coutries (although I don't recall any Bulgars), but i have never learned to play any of their tunes. If somebody could steer me in the direction of some sheet music, this would keep me happy for hours.

The one occasion i did play pipes for these guys it was scottish pipes and scottish tunes. This was at work, the night of Tito's death. Although only a few were czecs, most had fought with Tito in his army during WW2, many knew him personally and some were only alive because of Tito's courage in the field. These guys really appreciated a few tunes in Tito's honour, even if they were the wrong tunes on the wrong instrument.

Andy K

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelLoos on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:17 am

I hope the "Irish War Pipe replica" you bought is not this thing here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As far as I'm aware of there are no depictions of bagpipes in Ireland earlier than the 16th century that a reconstruction could be based upon, and definitely no surviving instrument of which a replica could possibly be made.
A search for "kaba gaida" on Youtube will give you plenty of results, so you get an idea of what this music sounds like. There is no sheet music available for this, however, I have written out a couple of tunes. If you give me your email address I can send you the files, you will need the Sibelius programme to open these. The free demo version will suffice.
Ilario Garbani has published a book, "Sei note di Zampogna":
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This contains 100 tunes from Italy as well as from other countries arranged for zampogna, covering the range that can be played with the top hand only. You will have to transpose these a fifth up as zampogna music is written in G.
MichaelLoos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down