Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We're all different but the similarities......

Go down

We're all different but the similarities...... Empty We're all different but the similarities......

Post  Bob Salter Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 pm

I am beginning to notice that while we all like making different pipes, we have a lot of other things in common. Many of us have Moulding and casting experience. Several of us like puppet making. I like making dental prosthetics in the sfx genre and I noticed one of our new members has mentioned that as one of his other hobbies. I have a ten litre can of semi firm silicon awaiting my making a vent figure head.
Does anyone else share these interests? If so I'd love to hear what you have been making. What other hobbies do our members enjoy?

Bob

Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

We're all different but the similarities...... Empty Re: We're all different but the similarities......

Post  verdatum Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm

As I mentioned, I do special makeup effects. I mostly work with silicone, but I've also done some work with prosthetics gelatin, and back when I started the hobby in high school, I was using buildup latex. I've done some simple dentures using dental acrylic. I've made punched wigs. I created a wiki to house special effects information at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It's publicly editable, but so far, 99% of the content is mine.

I do replica propwork. I've done polyurethane resin casting for small parts. I've done fiberglassing to make armor pieces. I've done pewter casting on my stovetop with silicone molds. I do airbrushing, mostly with lacquer paints, but one of these days, I plan to get into the automotive polyurethane paints.

I've put in a bunch of research into high vacuum technology. The intent is to be able to do vacuum metalization so I can get a true mirror finish on plastic pieces, as opposed to the dull metal look you get with painting or leafing. Woefully, that's a really expensive hobby, so it'll be a little while longer before I can do anything more than degas my silicone.

I got into leathercrafting a couple months ago. It's really handy to be able to make custom cases for random stuff like musical instruments. I was surprised how easy it was, and how much money I'm able to save versus having the work commissioned.

I do some costuming for things like anime/sci-fi conventions. so while I'm able to sew, I don't really enjoy it. I just like the finished product.

I play trumpet, piano, pennywhistle, dijeridu, harmonica, anglo concertina (horribly), and pretty much any other random instrument I can get my hands on. I'm in a pirate-themed music troupe, we sing at taverns and renn-fests and such.

Coincidentally, while I never have gotten around to doing any puppetmaking/puppetry, I'm a member of the Puppeteers of America. I saw the Jim Henson exhibit back when it was at the Smithsonian and it gave me a new appreciation for the hidden potential of furniture foam. One of these days, I'd love to make a replica muppet.

Oh yeah, and during the day, I'm a software engineer.

verdatum

Back to top Go down

We're all different but the similarities...... Empty Re: We're all different but the similarities......

Post  Yuri Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Well, since it's a general confessional, by the looks of it, here goes.
I have made quite a few puppets. (have a look on my site, there is a page devoted to just that.) I also played them for quite a bit, from straigt Punch-and-Judy by myself to teaming up with my girlfriend and doing sorta semi-professional rounds for a while. I was doing all the making, and supplying the music, she the cloth parts and actual playing. One day we even might get back to it.
I played the three chords, then lead guitar in a what was not yet called heavy metal band, but essentially was, then bass. Then I had a girlfriend who played harpsichord, and went on to study the organ. I never played those, but made her a virginal and a couple of clavichords. She still uses them. But this stint made me learn the Elizabethan lute, (and make a couple (for myself)) then recorders, then a long time later the bagpipe. I still don't (and probably never will) play Scottish fingering, as I'm interested in mediaeval music, not more recent. (OK, and Renaissance, and I even play some French Baroque, but all those more like an aside.)
I never have cast anything, though did give a hand a long time ago to a friend of mine doing fibreglass casting. That's probably why I never did it again. The smell....
I also built nearly all the furniture I have, not really for the aesthetic value, more because I never have any money. But then, THAT, I think we ALL share.
Do I get absolved now, Father?
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jwalker Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 am

The closest I've ever been to puppets was to see our band name on a billboard "Puppet show, then The Dogwatch" (just joking, but wasn't that in Spinal Tap?) Well I work as a tour Guide in Hawaii, when I'm not doing that I'm either building instruments with my Uncle in his shop (all kinds, Harps, Psalterys, Langspils, Hurdy Gurdys, Bagpipes, Kanteles, Whistles...... to name a few....) or I'm playing with my cousins and some of my Uncles in our band, which plays all kinds of styles from Traditional Scots-Irish to Mariachi music, I know that makes no sense. I started playing guitar when I was about 8 which my Dad taught me, then when i was about 19 my uncle who has the instrument shop taught me the bagpipes (GHB) then I picked up the fiddle about 3 years ago and the banjo about 2 years ago. We are currently working on a 5 course Cittern/Bouzouki whatever you want to call it, and a full set of Uilleanns. I also take old computers and make frankenstien versions of them from all the parts. I'm into home audio recording, actually we are redesigning a garage on our house for the stereotypical "Garage Studio" for practice and recording.

Jwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jwalker Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:24 am

Oh yes, and speaking of fiberglass *Shudders*, My family builds boats, so I've had my fair share of the itch from working with that stuff. BTW Yuri, if you couldn't stand the smell you might be able to work with a systems three epoxy, which actually has a pretty sweet smell and doesn't have such an itch factor, a real joy to work with if your into fiberglass work.

Jwalker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum