Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wide Bore Reg...

4 posters

Go down

Wide Bore Reg... Empty Wide Bore Reg...

Post  texasbagpiper Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Any reason why one couldn't make a single reg for a set with the same reamer that is used for the chanter. I've always wanted to try but didn't know about stability issues, etc. The holes would have to be adjusted from the chanters specs, of course, but the reed could be adjusted as to keep it out of the upper octave. Thoughts?????
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Wide Bore Reg... Empty Re: Wide Bore Reg...

Post  Bob Salter Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Ive often pondered this very thing. I see no reason it wouldnt work as a single regulator, you couldnt add another one as the keys wouldn't line up. I guess thats the beauty of making your own reamers. I now have two chanter designs( I didnt think the first one was good so tried a different one to confirm or disprove this, turns out they are both good) Im quite happy with and will soon be looking at regulators. However I will have to get past my key making block. Seth, do you still have your key-making how to anywhere? Im happy with silver soldering and so on its really just the dimensions at the start and how to end up with a key that isnt soft and bendy at the end. Im going to make Robert Reid style keys as I think they look real classy. Any key-making tips most appreciated

Cheers
Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  tompipes Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:40 pm

You technically could make tenor and baritone regulators from your D chanter reamer.

The tone spacing would be a little different to make room for key blocks so the tone hole sizes would change too. There's Rowsome regulator measurements on David Quinn's CD but they vary a bit from each other and there isn't chanter measurements from the same sets as the regulators so it's hard to really know if the same reamer(s) would have been used.

Regulator bores would be slightly narrower than chanter bores e.g. .1 to .2mm narrower throat sizes anyway. But the rate of taper may be the same.

The Kenna C set on the Sean Reid Society site has very similar chanter and regulator bores too.

I intend, sometime this year, to start regulator prototypes using chanter reamers so I'll post results.

Tommy

tompipes

http://www.pipertommymartin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 pm

tompipes wrote:You technically could make tenor and baritone regulators from your D chanter reamer.

The tone spacing would be a little different to make room for key blocks so the tone hole sizes would change too. There's Rowsome regulator measurements on David Quinn's CD but they vary a bit from each other and there isn't chanter measurements from the same sets as the regulators so it's hard to really know if the same reamer(s) would have been used.

Regulator bores would be slightly narrower than chanter bores e.g. .1 to .2mm narrower throat sizes anyway. But the rate of taper may be the same.

The Kenna C set on the Sean Reid Society site has very similar chanter and regulator bores too.

I intend, sometime this year, to start regulator prototypes using chanter reamers so I'll post results.

Tommy

That sounds cool, I'm interested to know how it goes. I have regulator reamers and plans from Tim Britton but I really don't mess with regs, although I plan to one day. Tim's plans allow for a single reamer to make the Bari, Tenor regs, as well as chanters in C, B, Bb. I think the rate of taper is the same as my Concert reamer but it's narrower as you suggested.
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tompipes Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow thats some reamer.
So either he makes very wide bore Bb chanters or fairly narrow bore Concert pitched regulators. I guess I can see how it could be done though.

Tommy

tompipes

http://www.pipertommymartin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Bayley Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:58 am

Yes you can use the same reamers and make the bores the same as the chanter and at least one maker did this back in the late 70's / early 80's

The problem comes with balance as they are too loud and have had sets by this maker in the workshop where the regulators have had several rushes (real ones) and even cotton wool in the Bass regulator to try to quieten them

Chris

Chris Bayley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down