Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belorussian chanter making

Go down

Belorussian chanter making Empty Belorussian chanter making

Post  Yuri Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm

A while ago I have made for a customer a replica of a Belorussian chanter. While doing it, I took photos of the tricky bit, the horn at the lower end. These days all too often these are made by splitting the block of wood in half, hollowing out both halves, then gluing back. None of the known originals are done that way. (I won't even mention the ultimate cop-out, which is the cowhorn, and used just as often nowadays, but never in the past.) So here's a step-by step process, in case anyone, not in thir right mind, would wonder how it can be done. (Mind you, the originals were very unlikely to have been made this way. In their cases it would have been some primitive augers, some primitive chisels and equally primitive knives. With brilliant results.
The chanters themselves are much on the lines of the Swedish Sackpipa chanter, with a bell added. This does modify the sound, makes it sort of more strident on the bottom notes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Success! I can see light at the end of the tunnel!
The secret weapon for clearing up the passage in the less accessible places.
The secret weapon for clearing up all the rest of the bore.
The end.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down