Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Workshop ramblings

3 posters

Go down

Workshop ramblings Empty Workshop ramblings

Post  Bob Salter Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:18 am

Hmmm. Workshops are starting to be a bit of a thing with me. I originally got into pipemaking because I thought I could make a set far more cheaply than buying even a good second hand set. Boy was I wrong. Ive been at this for years and have many times rued the day I started all this. Until recently that is. Now I think I could do with a new drone nip outside and a couple of hours later come in with a drone. Thats cool if I say so myself. As a general guide to the would be pipemaker, buy the best machines you can afford and if every website you can find info on says to do something with a certain tool or method then trust me thats probably the only way it will work/
I started out with a wickes lathe which cost around forty quid. While it is possible to make something that squeaks with a machine like that its neither easy or pretty. Ive been in a couple of pipemakers workshop and they were virtual clones of each other. A decent wood lathe tools and chucks for it and also a good metal lathe to make reamers. It is perfectly possible to do without one or the other but both is better. A good drill press a a GOOD tool grinder for keeping those tools nice and sharp. A heater is important to keep your metal lathe from rusting(which it will do fast). Next year I am going to make my final workshop, this will be its fifth incarnation make your shop as big as you possibly can to begin with and save yourself all those rebuilds when you see that machine you cant do without.

Happy Pipemaking
Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Workshop ramblings Empty Re: Workshop ramblings

Post  Art Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm curious about using a heater in the shop to prevent rust. What temperature do you keep your shop at? I've been thinking of adding a dehumidifier. I wonder which one would be more effective?
Art
Art

http://www.GaitaAsturiana.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Sadly, my shop is a glorified garden shed. My Myford you can actually see the rust form on if you arent careful. Im using a small tube heater actually resting againt the metal of the lathe. Apparently in that environment convection currents are to be avoided at all costs as they will cause worse rust than no heat.(I dont entirely understand why but am assured by the myford experts) My trusty old delta wood lathe seems to be impervious to any kind of weather I have on a few occasions chipped frost off it in order to safely use it. It is minus six tonight and I wont be going out until tomorrow. To heat the shop whilst working I just have a small blow heater(and a LOT of jumpers Very Happy )

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  BigHairyPiper Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Very interesting as I am just in the process of building my own garden shed/worshop, yes rust always seems to be the problem, for the past few years I used the bottom half of my sisters garage, very cold and damp, i always kept the lathe slides well oiled, cheap engine oil, seemed to keep a damp proof coat on the steel. I have a Chester metal turning lathe,my other is a Axminster lathe, cost about £350 few years back, nice simple lathe cast bed but man it loves rust.

Like you Bob I have a little blow heater.. keeps the dust out of my face too !.
I have thought about a little heater just to keep it warm, I am going to insulate it well also.

I am building my workshop out of wood from decking, its going to make a good hefty shed, i took up for someone, good way of recycling, am all for that. Good thing about it , its well tanalised !. I have insulated the floor also, helps to keep the toosies warm on a cold winter night !.
BigHairyPiper
BigHairyPiper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down