Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I 'bring out the tone'

3 posters

Go down

How do I 'bring out the tone' Empty How do I 'bring out the tone'

Post  Bob Salter Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:12 am

Finally I see light at the end of the tunnel. Ive been working on reedmaking since january and am reasonably sure I can produce a fairly consistent playing reed. My D chanter is now almost perfected, bottom d is a little flat but Ill ream out a little this holiday weekend. However, while the chanter plays reasonably in tune, the tone is a bit bland. I have heard makers talking about 'bringing the tone out' as a final operation. Hopefully this is the last hurdle for me, I was starting to think I was going to croak of old age before I finished. I have ordered the metal for regulator reamers at last but in the meantime, can anyone explain to me this mysterious 'bringing out the tone' and how to accomplish it?

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

How do I 'bring out the tone' Empty Re: How do I 'bring out the tone'

Post  texasbagpiper Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 pm

It could have something to do with the wood used. I can make two identical chanters, one in blackwood and the other in a less dense wood like mesquite, and one will sound much more mellow than the other. Seth
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

How do I 'bring out the tone' Empty OD?

Post  KiltedMusician Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Could it be the outside diameter/thickness of the chanter wall?

I have read a little about the thickness of the material concerning whistles in that getting it right can make the bottom hand notes steadier while making it harder to accidentally enter the second octave. I've even seen a whistle that was milled to different thicknesses at different places on it.

I could see how buffing a little material off, testing, buffing, testing etc. could brighten the tone until you were happy it.

Lyle

KiltedMusician

Back to top Go down

How do I 'bring out the tone' Empty Re: How do I 'bring out the tone'

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum