Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im really looking forward to this one

3 posters

Go down

Im really looking forward to this one Empty Im really looking forward to this one

Post  Bob Salter Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Lots of pictures and how tos in here please, Im dying to see how its done

Bob Very Happy
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Im really looking forward to this one Empty Re: Im really looking forward to this one

Post  Yuri Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This is my good old stanby, that I made some 6 or 7 years ago. My girlfriend has been playing it ever since. The photo is taken before totally finished, the trompette string's tensioning peg is not in yet. The handle and the shaft are wood, rata, (NZ native), and I was curious how long it will last without giving trouble. So far it hasn't given any. The bearings are ball-bearings.
I'm about to start making a prototype for a really affordable h-g, aimed at the beginning student market. What I'm going to do is trim away all non-essential stuff, but make the working parts as perfect as I can. 3 Strings, (after all it is going to be a student model, and probably the Hungarian type of trompette arrangement. It is easier to make, and also it's easier to handle for the player. I haven't settled yet on the wheel size, though, but will soon.
Watch this space, but don't hold your breath, as it's not going to be tomorrow.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Im really looking forward to this one Empty Re: Im really looking forward to this one

Post  texasbagpiper Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:09 am

Yuri wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This is my good old stanby, that I made some 6 or 7 years ago. My girlfriend has been playing it ever since. The photo is taken before totally finished, the trompette string's tensioning peg is not in yet. The handle and the shaft are wood, rata, (NZ native), and I was curious how long it will last without giving trouble. So far it hasn't given any. The bearings are ball-bearings.
I'm about to start making a prototype for a really affordable h-g, aimed at the beginning student market. What I'm going to do is trim away all non-essential stuff, but make the working parts as perfect as I can. 3 Strings, (after all it is going to be a student model, and probably the Hungarian type of trompette arrangement. It is easier to make, and also it's easier to handle for the player. I haven't settled yet on the wheel size, though, but will soon.
Watch this space, but don't hold your breath, as it's not going to be tomorrow.

That's a great looking set. Wow~!
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 am

Wow that looks amazing. Did you do all the carving as well?
Are there any plans on the net worth trying? I think I have the Zachary taylor Smith book somewhere but I cant remember if there is a HG in there. Ill dig it out later.

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  texasbagpiper Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 am

Bob Salter wrote:Wow that looks amazing.
Bob

You know he did, Yuri amazes me at some of the stuff he builds. Seth
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 pm

I did the carving. After all, I started my craftsman's life as a carver, not an instrument builder. Didn't even play anything at the time except the compulsory three chords on the guitar. Which is something I haven't picked up in aeons now. (But I have learned the Elizabethan lute in the meanwhile, so played that for quite a while. Not much lately, though, for all sorts of reasone.)
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum