Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't be in the Marching Band without this.

3 posters

Go down

Can't be in the Marching Band without this. Empty Can't be in the Marching Band without this.

Post  texasbagpiper Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:19 am

My other hobby.... Now he can march again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Can't be in the Marching Band without this. Empty Re: Can't be in the Marching Band without this.

Post  verdatum Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 am

It's impressive that you do this stuff. I've always been fascinated by medical prosthetic design. This is the first I've heard of anyone doing this as a "hobby". How did you learn this stuff? Is everything made from scratch, or just the socket?

I've been doing prosthetic makeup effects and dental appliances (fangs, etc) for about 10 years now. From what I've seen, a lot of the techniques carry over. I'd always figured one would need a couple years of medical school or something before building anything serious.

verdatum

Back to top Go down

Can't be in the Marching Band without this. Empty Re: Can't be in the Marching Band without this.

Post  texasbagpiper Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 am

verdatum wrote:It's impressive that you do this stuff. I've always been fascinated by medical prosthetic design. This is the first I've heard of anyone doing this as a "hobby". How did you learn this stuff? Is everything made from scratch, or just the socket?

I've been doing prosthetic makeup effects and dental appliances (fangs, etc) for about 10 years now. From what I've seen, a lot of the techniques carry over. I'd always figured one would need a couple years of medical school or something before building anything serious.

I started showing up at Hangar Orthopedics and told them I wanted to learn how to make Orthotics and Prosthetic's. They don't mind, because I'm free labor, and I just show up when I want and make whatever needs to be made. I also make custom orthotic shoe inserts for myself when I'm in the O&P shop. It is mostly made from scratch. Cast the stump, fill cast with plaster, use the plaster master mold to laminate over with carbon fibre, fiberglass, and skin colored resin. Then you shape the socket, add the metal hardware, and the foot and your ready to go. It's more complicated than that but that's the short version. You can watch videos on this on youtube.
texasbagpiper
texasbagpiper

http://SwedishBagpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:13 pm

dental appliances (fangs, etc)
So you work by appointment to his highness the Count of Transsylvania, then?
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum