Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanish Gaita

3 posters

Go down

Spanish Gaita Empty Spanish Gaita

Post  Yuri Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:27 pm

As it says in the title, Gaita Gallega.
From obviously a book, has been sent to me via e-mail, so I haven't a clue as to the title of the book. The plans is all I got.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Spanish Gaita Empty Re: Spanish Gaita

Post  Bob Salter Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 am

Yuri,
I know there is a formula for changing the pitch of these but cant remember it. I have a Bb a b and a c(Gaita gallega). I would like to try again with better reamers and timber. I dont suppose you know it do you? You had to divide all measurements by one point odds. I even bought proper reeds from Spain for these.

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yuri Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:13 pm

In a word, no, I don't know.
Thing is, I myself never really work from plans as such. That's because I'm after some not too common types. In the case of the gaita, I'm right now working on a chanter based on a B nat. Galician chanter, but fiddling around with the fingering, so I can use the one I'm used to. The simple reason is that I want it for Medieval music, not Galician. So in my case it's not just getting the places right, it's complicated by the demands of cross-fingering.
An educated guess would be that shifting the fingerholes by the same ratio as the shifting of the ventholes should do the trick. Except that the sizes will have to be altered, too. In this last bit I always drill the fingerholes generously undersize, and then tune tem to the pitch, in any case. By generously I mean perhaps 5-10% smaller than needed, not a 1mm pilot hole, and then working from that.
While on the subject, I also have an A chanter by another maker, and the bore is completely different, so in this case a simple formula wouldn't work, anyway. The A chanter has a rather complex bore, three reamers having been used, or perhaps even four. The B nat. one is a single-reamer cone.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  verdatum Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 am

"El libro de la gaita" translates to "The book of the gaita (bagpipe)". This is the book's title. Google searching tells me it was written by Manolo Quiros (1949-2001), and published in 1993. ISBN 84-86889-26-X.

At last, the 6 years of Spanish I was forced to take in high school and college pays off!

verdatum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum