Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone make elder drone reeds?

2 posters

Go down

Does anyone make elder drone reeds? Empty Does anyone make elder drone reeds?

Post  Bob Salter Sun May 15, 2011 6:19 am

I am trying to finish off a historical narrow bore set. I need to make elder drone reeds. I have collected some elder but most of the info I have on the reeds lacks detail. Can anyone post a pic of the tongue of the reed please. I know I have to cut the tongue rather than split it and I know that the tongue is generally shorter but that encompasses my knowledge of elder reed making. I have seen the video by Ronan Browne over [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but its a bit blurry at the crucial moment. How he still has all his fingers I don't know.

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Does anyone make elder drone reeds? Empty Re: Does anyone make elder drone reeds?

Post  Yuri Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

I have made just the one as an experiment, and it wasn't a solid one, either. I used one of my usual wooden bodies, and instead of a cane tongue, used a shaved-down piece of elder. It worked, that's all I can say. But since it was made purely for curiosity's sake, I never used it even.
All I know that when using elder, the tongues are not split parallel to the sides, as with cane, but at a slight angle, so the tip of the tongue is fatter than the base, where the split starts. Can't say what the reason is, but I saw two or three, and they all were like that.
Yuri
Yuri

http://www.wood-n-bone.co.nz

Back to top Go down