Making and Playing Bagpipes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to find Taaylor drone info?

3 posters

Go down

Where to find Taaylor drone info? Empty Where to find Taaylor drone info?

Post  Bob Salter Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:18 pm

I jsut bought the David Quinn cd and see bore data for a taylor chanter. It looks acoustically interesting and I need reamer making practice( although the last set I made are quite good and producing nice results) I have spoken to several pipemakers and discovered several of them had no luck making Rowesome chanters and they base their chanters on the Taylor brothers work. I am not a fan of their ribbon keys style and would never try it but I might make a more "traditional" style chanter using their bore design just to see if I have better success with it. However search as I might I cant find any drone info. Does anyone know of any plans or drawings and where I might find them?
Life at the moment is reamer making and reed making. The Rowesome ones are finished and my octaves seem to track quite nicely. I can now produce chanter reeds reasonably successfully but drone reeds are still proving difficult. Its been kinda quiet around here what are you all making?

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Where to find Taaylor drone info? Empty Re: Where to find Taaylor drone info?

Post  verdatum Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:36 pm

I just started an attempt at making my first drone reed. Even though I don't have any drones or a mainstock yet, I figured I'd want a reed so I could test as I go.

Could you talk more about your drone reed difficulties? And are you making synthetic or cane reeds?

I've seen the David Quinn CD recommended elsewhere. Is it sold online anywhere, or do you just email him to get a copy (like with The Piper's Despair). I couldn't find any detailed descriptions of it either; what's in it?

verdatum

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelLoos Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:15 am

verdatum,
a drone reed on its own won't be of much use to you because you cann not test it. If it seems to work as it is, it is not at all guaranteed that it will also work within the drone, and if it doesn't seem to work this doesn't mean that in the drone it won't work, either - in fact, many (especially synthetic) reeds fall shut immediately when being blown on their own, but work very nicely with the appropriate drone. Next, the stock has a lot of influence on the function (as well as on sound and pitch), and with the chanter attached it is a different story again...
You will have to email David Quinn for the CD, it is packed with useful information about pipemaking as such, tools, bore data, and plenty of photographs of pipes, old and new.
MichaelLoos
MichaelLoos

Back to top Go down

Post  verdatum Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks Michael. The David Quinn CD sounds too good to pass up; I'm looking into it.

I built my reed based on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Combined with bits of advice from all over David Daye's website.

When I got my first reed working, it played easily, but I was concerned that the pitch varied in direct relation to air pressure. Based on your advice, I tried hooking it up to a bit of brass tubing of an appropriate length, and the variance went away almost completely.

Until I can get ahold of some alternative drone measurements, I'm making drones from stock brass tube based on the measurements from the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as published in the Seán Reid Society Journal. It's quick, easy, and recyclable if/when I decide to change directions.

verdatum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Salter Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Ive made that set of pipes, theres a pic in the picture section I think Shocked How does it sound made with brass tubing? What body length/tongue length did you use? Let me know Id love to hear your experience with it. When I get roubd to it Im gonna make elder reeds for it as these are what would have been used. Ronan Browne who owns that set still uses elder. If you want to hear them just goto myspace and search James Kenna Very Happy

Bob
Bob Salter
Bob Salter

Back to top Go down

Post  verdatum Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Bob, did you ever get the answer to this question?

As far as I can see, Quinn posted dimensions to Taylor drones in the Spring and Summer 2001 issues of The Piper's Review.

verdatum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down